National eGovernance Plan (NeGP) was approved by the Government of India in May 2006, with the following vision:
“Make all Government Services accessible to the common man in his locality, through common service delivery outlets and ensure efficiency, transparency and reliability of such services at affordable costs to realise the basic needs of the common man”.
e-District is one of the 31 MMPs under NeGP, with the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY), Government of India (GoI) as the nodal department, to be implemented by State Government or their designated agencies. This MMP aims at electronic delivery of identified high volume citizen centric services, at district and sub-district level, those are not part of any other MMP. e-District project involves integrated and seamless delivery of citizen services by district administration through automation of workflow, back end digitization, integration and process redesigning across participating sections/departments for providing services in a most efficient manner to the citizens.
The project aims at providing support to the basic administrative unit i.e. “District Administration” by leveraging and optimally utilizing the four pillars of IT/e-infrastructure namely – State Data Centers (SDCs), State Wide Area Network (SWANs), State Service Delivery Gateways (SSDGs) and Common Service Centers (CSCs), to deliver public services electronically to citizens at their door steps.
The broad objectives of the project include:
- Undertake backend computerization of district and tehsil level offices to ensure electronic delivery of high volume citizen centric services at the district level.
- Extensive capacity building and training of field level functionaries to ensure smooth migration to electronic delivery of e-district services and phasing out manual delivery of services.
- Providing easy access to government services (both information & transactional) and ensuring reliability, efficiency, transparency and accountability.
- Reducing number of visits of citizens to a ?government office / department for availing the services and thereby eliminating discomfort to citizens.
- Reducing administrative burden and service fulfillment time for the government, citizens &businesses.?
The broad outcomes envisaged from the project are:?
- Enhanced e-Governance Infrastructure
- Augmented capacities of District staff
- Efficient service delivery mechanism
- Delivery of selected services to the citizen through CSC / e-Mitra centre
- Complete work flow automation of selected services
- Interlinked services and reuse of available resources
- Better services to citizen
- Generation of an efficient MIS for better decision making
- Faster retrieving of the records due to computerization
Core activities to be performed in the project are:
- LAN Cabling & Site Preparation
- Commissioning of Hardware
- Data Digitization